Saturday, May 2, 2009

Indie Biz of the Week...open calls and more

Lets get to it.

INDIE BIZ OF THE WEEK
Remedy Salon is located on 65 St in Emeryville.

Remedy is a cute salon located right around the corner for Blankspace. I have to admit I have known about this salon for a while now, I walk past it almost on a daily basis when walking my dogs. But for a long time I had a great hairstylist, so when she moved away...I was sad..and avoided going through the search of finding a new hairdresser for a long time (a process that is akin to finding a good mechanic or a new doctor).

Finally, I decided to try Remedy and since I had heard good things about Lona I made an appointment with her. I have to say I was nervous...well Lona was great! She was friendly, but not too talkative ( I like a friendly hairddresser, but I think there is a time for cutting and a time for talking)..she had the right amount of banter, enough to make me feel comfortable.

Cutting to the chase- Lona did a great haircut, the salon is small and comfortable, the other stylists all seemed nice and the prices are reasonable. I will be going back.

Remedy Salon

1195 65th St
(between San Pablo Ave & Vallejo St)
Emeryville, CA 94608
(510) 547-5000



WHAT'S UP AT BLANKSPACE

Cal Jam Too
curated by Keith Boadwee

May 1 - May 24, 2009

Blankspace is proud to present another dynamic group show of emerging Bay Area artists curated by Keith Boadwee.

When it comes to bringing together new talent, Boadwee always delivers the goods. His shows have historically delivered a mixture of cheekiness, intelligence and conceptual potence. This year's exhibit is no different.

Artists: Chris Hood, Kevin Hauser, Sean Niesen, MUISTARDEAUX COLLECTIVE, Jee Kim, Ace Lehner, Matt Gordon, Sean Leake, Isaac Grey, Eduardo Gomez, Maggie Haas, Carmen Winant, Calvin Trezise, Gareth Spor, Matthew Waldbillig, Matthew Hughes Boyko, Project Space featured installation by-Brandon Olsen

BLANKSPACE HAS NEW GALLERY HOURS: THURS-SUN 12-6pm


COMMUNITY BOARD

Open Call

Oakland Art Gallery and Pro Arts Present
Bay Area Currents 2009

Selections by Kevin B. Chen, Intersection for the Arts


Deadline for entries: May 15, 2009

Click here for the Pro Arts Gallery Open Call page with online registration
form and more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment