Sunday, August 9, 2009

Indie Biz of the Week and other tidbits August 8th

Indie Biz of the Week
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{{}{}{}{}{}{}
Urban Ore
So I am sure you all know about Urban Ore, but I have recently rediscovered how great it is. Until recently I had no particular hard to find item that I was in want or need of until I started restructuring the store area of Blankspace and then I began to realize I needed to take a walk over and check out the goods.

Not too surprisingly I found what I needed, some decent base board and some other cool stuff. Well... I may be getting a bit addicted to going over and checking what new items they have. Mostly I don't need a thousand old doors or windows, but I find a bit of inspiration from being around all the old wood and furniture.

The best part for me is that the people who work there seem to being going back to the old ways (I am referring to the old location in Berkeley) when you could haggle and often come away with free stuff included in your purchase. That makes me happy to be able to haggle a bit, for a while it was frustrating to go in and get attitude AND pay high prices at a salvage shop.


Most of the uber hipsters of the past have moved on to working record shops or install crews at various arts institutions, being replaced by some nice folks who have cute style and nice demeanor, yay, yay.

If you have never been, it is worth checking out.
Urban Ore
900 Murray St.
Berkeley, CA 94710
(510) 841-7283
Open Mon-Sat 8:30am-7pm; Sun 10am-7pm
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{{}{}{}{}{}{}

What's up at Blankspace?
We just re-opened this past Friday (hence the late blog post) August 7th with "How Do You Know" a group exhibit of 16 Irish Artists curated by Gallery 126 in Galway, Ireland.

The opening went smooth and was well attended. We had our neighbors two piece band called Front Junk playing outside between the galleries, fun stuff. We were also celebrating the opening of Obi Kaufmann's new space called Sweet[art] gallery. Located next door on the 6602 side of the Compound Studios. Yay Obi.


The show at Blankspace runs through August 30th. Come by and check it out.


In other news I rearranged the gallery store and brought in some cute new items. I am very excited to launch our online site, if all things go well it will launch at the beginning of September...I will keep you posted. I also created a mural for the back wall, it had been a while since I had done a wall drawing, so I just went for it..here is a pic.














No comments:

Post a Comment